This somatic training provides direct experiential learning opportunities that emphasize erotic embodiment. Participants learn a variety of Sexological Bodywork modalities, including Taoist Bodywork, sensate focus, anal touch, prostate massage, pelvic release work, breath work, scar tissue remediation, and Orgasmic Yoga coaching. Furthermore, participants experience how humans learn sex—through mindful, self-directed practice over time. This course will prepare practitioners to teach somatic sex education to individuals, couples and groups.
This Sexological Bodywork training makes use of online learning, phone conferences, home erotic practice sessions, video demonstrations, supervised practicum, and communal practice. During the ten-day residential intensive, participants and instructors gather to hone erotic skills, to explore communal erotic trance states, and to connect with their colleagues in the new profession of Sexological Bodywork.
The erotic education in this course is communal: we learn from each other and with each other. . We strive to create a radically inclusive space, and welcome diversity in sexual preference, gender, age, culture and professional background.
The course will be taught in both English and Portuguese.
• Students learn Taoist Bodywork for men and women, sensate focus, anal touch for health, pleasure and relaxation, pelvic floor release, breath work, scar tissue remediation and masturbation coaching.
• Participants study somatic learning theory, which teaches that the most profound sexual education is found through self-directed mindful practice over time. Using this yoga model of education, students learn to be a resource and guide for others’ erotic practice sessions.
• Students learn to use a variety of media in their teaching, including sex education DVDs, online streaming video, group distance learning, and Zoom conference calls.
• Participants use touch, breath, and focused attention to become familiar with, articulate about, and competent in the uses of profound ecstatic and erotic states.
• Students develop a beginning competence in masturbation coaching based on the principles of Authentic Movement.
• Using Silvan Tomkins’ affect theory, students learn body-based interventions to deal with sexual shame in themselves and in others. Using Donald Mosher’s depth of sexual involvement theory, students learn to assist others in achieving profound levels of sexual intimacy.
• Participants learn to coach others in active receiving through key practices of breath, sound, movement, awareness, and touch.
• Students study human anatomy of arousal.
• Participants learn to slow their teaching and encourage feedback when working with individuals who carry sexual trauma.
• Students learn when to offer referrals to doctors, psychotherapists and other health care professionals.
• Participants experience and understand the communal nature of embodiment and sexuality, making use of their relationships with others in their learning.
• Students learn to assess embodiment and mindfulness as indicators of sexual health and well-being.
• Participants learn the basics of beginning a successful Sexological Bodywork practice.
• Students learn how to plan group learning experiences.
Students participate in nine weeks of online group study (Module One) before attending an eleven-day residential Intensive (Module Two), which is followed by three months of twenty-five supervised sessions with individuals and small groups (Module Three).
Upon completion of all requirements, students are awarded the Certificate in Sexological Bodywork.
Graduates from this professional training can become members of The Association of Certified Sexological Bodyworkers (ACSB).
Prerequisites for Enrollment
Although the training was designed to build on the experience of individuals who are already working as bodyworkers, sex educators, yoga instructors, psychotherapists, or health care providers, the basic prerequisite for this training is a heartfelt commitment to serve others.
Enrolment in this training requires educated hands. Students must be competent, experienced, and confident in their ability to offer conscious touch. The application process includes a telephone interview with Yuri or Paula.
Students must have a high-speed internet connection in order to access the group discussions, the video demonstrations, and other course materials.
Somatic Sex Education is an area of study full of new ideas. The required readings and viewings are foundational for the learning in this training.
Module One: Online Group Study
The most profound embodied learning in the Sexological Bodywork training takes place at home during erotic practice sessions. Mindful somatic practice over time is the core of the home study program. Online video demonstrations and important sexological readings provide a survey of the new field of somatic sexology with an emphasis on education, erotic bodywork, masturbation coaching, anal pleasure, erotic yoga, and sexual health. Each student reports at least weekly to the group about his or her erotic practice and learning.
A private forum at The New School of Erotic Touch facilitates the sharing of homework assignments, while providing a place for online discussions and communications with the instructors.
An online home-study workbook directs practice sessions, course readings and video viewing. Students should allocate between twelve and sixteen hours each week for the nine weeks of home study. Students are encouraged to divide their home schooling evenly between erotic practice sessions and study of video and texts. Students who have not completed the home study requirements cannot attend Module Two: Embodiment Intensive.
Module Two: Embodiment Intensive
After nine weeks of group online learning, students and faculty come together in the flesh to practice communally. The ten days of the Intensive include instruction and practice in self-massage, movement, sensate focus, Taoist Bodywork, breath work, scar tissue remediation and masturbation coaching. Special emphasis is placed on learning to work with others as a sexual yoga instructor, guiding their erotic practice sessions and, whenever possible, empowering them to direct their own somatic learning. Every participant touches and coaches every other participant in the training.
During the Intensive, students deepen the erotic practice begun in the home study. The following modalities are emphasized:
Somatic Sex Coaching
This form of sex coaching involves taking on the role of erotic trainer or sexual yoga instructor. Participants help others to overcome shame and erotic sensory-motor amnesia, allowing both personal and communal erotic embodiment. Rather than offer teaching, participants facilitate learning and erotic mindfulness by guiding somatic practices.
Breathing is a foundational tool of Sexological Bodywork. Several different breathing methods are taught. Students learn to help others expand their capacity for sexual excitement and erotic joy through breathing.
Based on Authentic Movement, masturbation coaching is an astonishingly effective means to assist others to break free of limiting habits and to go deep into erotic experience. The major technique in masturbation coaching is witnessing and being witnessed. Students give and receive individual coaching sessions as well as participate in and facilitate group coaching structures, such as erotic trance dancing. Students learn ways to make use of video feedback in working with others. The motto of masturbation coaching is: “Change the way you masturbate, change your life.”
Through both giving and receiving erotic touch, students learn several forms of genital and anal massage. This erotic bodywork often results in trance states. Students also learn to teach this bodywork to couples and groups as a form of lovemaking. Furthermore, students learn neo-Reichian bodywork techniques to free the body’s potential for orgasm by releasing muscular “armoring” or constriction.
Somatic Sex Education and The Nervous System
Consciously changing how we use breath, sound, movement, touch and focused awareness has a profound effect on the nervous system, increasing neuroplasticity. This allows us to experience more, and have more choice in how we are erotically. Guided practice sessions teach participants how to coach clients in self-regulation to develop greater capacity for experience and choice.
Muscular, Skeletal, and Genital Anatomy
Anatomy is explored through slide show presentations, bodywork demonstrations and guided practice sessions, that teach us how to guide clients in self-regulation to develop greater choice in our bodies.
Setting up a successful Sexological Bodywork practice involves a vision, business plan, promotion, and a supportive network. Students also become familiar with legal issues and professional ethics.
Module Three: Supervised Practicum
Students complete twenty-five sessions of Sexological Bodywork with individuals, couples and small groups. Students post reports on their sessions online for the instructors and classmates to read and review.
Yuri Kotke, CSB, trained as a Certified Sexological Bodyworker and as a Somatic Sex Educator with Joseph Kramer and Ellen Heed at the first Canadian training.
Paula Fernanda Andreazza, CSB, is one of our region’s leading somatic sex educators and Tantra teachers.